McKinney ISD Parents and Students,
Google has implemented new policies outlining storage limitations for schools. On July 11, 2022, all student MISD Google Drive accounts (including Gmail) will be cleared. Students are strongly encouraged to download files from these accounts prior to July 11 if there is anything that needs to be saved.
Options for downloading/transferring files:
- Google Takeout – Use this tool to transfer files from MISD Google account to a personal account.
- Google Transfer – another option that will transfer only Google Drive files and Gmail to a personal Gmail account. View video tutorial.
- Download important files onto an external hard drive
Tips and Tricks for a Successful Transfer:
- Clean up your Google Drive and Inbox: take some time to delete old files and emails. Empty your trash. Do all of this BEFORE you transfer anything. It will make the transfer go faster and save space in your personal Google Drive or hard drive.
- Read Google Takeout and Transfer Instructions prior to starting. Make sure you understand the difference between Google Takeout and Transfer.
- You probably do NOT want to take out/transfer everything. Only check the boxes of things you do want to transfer – such as Drive and Gmail.
- Be prepared for the transfer to take a while. The Google Help page says it could take up to a week.
- Keep in mind that you will only be allowed to transfer documents that you own. Therefore, your teacher’s Google Slides presentation from Biology will not transfer if you were not the owner of that document.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact the MISD Student Help Desk.