One of the fastest growing school districts in Texas, McKinney ISD currently enrolls more than 24,500 students in 20 elementary schools, five middle schools, three high schools, one alternative campus and one early childhood education school.
The mission of McKinney Independent School District, the champion for progressive learning throughout our diverse community, is to inspire and equip all students to explore, develop, and express their unique potential as innovators, critical thinkers and collaborators through challenging, engaging and diverse learning experiences in vital partnership with our community.
In the September 2014 issue of Money Magazine, McKinney ranked No. 1 on the Best Places to Live in America list. McKinney is the only Texas city in the top 10. Money editors and writers look at employment, schools, crime and safety and overall quality of life aspects to come up with the list. McKinney debuted on the Money Magazine list in 2008 at No. 14. In 2010, the city ranked as No. 5 on the list, and in 2012 McKinney was ranked the No. 2 Best Place to Live in America.
Also, in 2012, McKinney was named as one of the America's Promise Alliance's 100 Best Communities for Young People presented by ING. The national award recognizes outstanding and innovative work by cities across the country to address the high school dropout rate, and for programs and services that make each city an outstanding place for youth to live, learn and grow.
Other Recent District Awards/Honors
- 84 TEA gold Performance Awards
- 6 NCEA Higher Performing Schools
- 4 NCLB National Blue Ribbon Schools
- 2 Intel Schools of Distinction (Math & Science)
- State and national recognition for UIL programs every year
- SAT/ACT scores exceed national averages
- 1 of only 388 Districts in the Nation and 1 of only 21 school districts in Texas, to be named by the College Board to the AP Achievement List for broadening the number of students taking AP courses while at the same time increasing performance on the AP exams!
- One of the most distinguished Fine Arts programs in the State of Texas - the only district in Texas to have a TMEA Honor Choir at every level 3 out of the last 3 years
- 1 of only 5 Districts in Texas to receive a Sunny Award from Sunshine Review for outstanding online financial transparency
- 1 of only 55 Districts in Texas to receive State Comptrollers Gold Designation for financial efficiency and value for money spent
- Superior Rating on State's FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas) and we've received the highest rating every year since the inception of the program
- 14 HealthierUS Challenge Bronze Award campuses